Redcliffe Art Society (R.A.S.)
“The Redcliffe Art Society, which had begun as the Redcliffe Art Contest Society in 1961 to promote a continuing art competition, developed into the thriving Society that it is today…”
from the introduction to SUN, SEA AND SHADOWS by Stella Curran
WHO ARE WE?
Established over fifty years ago, the Redcliffe Art Society has a proud history of community service not least of which was the National Art Competition which was conducted over many years. Being acquisitive this resulted in the basis of the collection held by what was then the Redcliffe City Council, now Moreton Bay Regional Council.
The history of this competition was well documented by Stella Curran in her book “Sun, Sea and Shadows”.
Nominated by Maureen van der Zalm
Word crafting by Julie Martyn at grammarfun.com.au
N.B. The Honour Board is seeking more information about RAS before 2007. Images and information can be sent through ‘Nominate’ on the Honour Board home page.
Text from the back cover of SUN, SEA AND SHADOWS
The Redcliffe Art Contest and Art Society 1957 to 1996 by Stella Curran
From 1957 to 1996 the art contest, initiated by HW (Dick) Wightman of Redcliffe Town Council and then conducted by the Redcliffe Art Contest Society, attracted artists from all over Australia and further afield.
This book acknowledges the committees, artists, sponsors judges and other distinguished Australians who gave time and effort to acquiring more than 200 art works for the Redcliffe Art Collection. Many early artists have achieved artistic prominence, and some of the later winning artists have become well-known.
A unique and popular feature of the Contest for 28 years was the Schonell Prize for Activities of Children, introduced by Professor Sir Fred Schonell, Vice Chancellor of Queensland University, as a memorial to his late wife.
The selected colour prints, and other works in black and white, indicate the variety and scope of acquisitions. The awards listed in the appendix were taken from all available catalogues and files.
Published in 1998 by Stella Curran, Scarborough, Qld 4020.